Sunday, December 20, 2009

Tomme



I made these cheese about two months ago in the style of Reblochon. Whether they taste like a this cheese, I don't know. I had the pleasure of eating Reblochon only once, this summer in France. As far as I remember, the cheeses here did not taste like the cheese I tasted in France, but I imagine the not all Reblochon tastes the same. 
But this is not the reason for this post. These three cheese came from the same batch. I treated the rind different during aging and ended up with three rather different cheeses.
The cheese in the first two photos I washed with lightly salted water. Besides some mould in the cavities, the rind is smooth orangy yellow. The wheel in the next two pictures I washed in Marc de Borgougne. This promotes the development of  coryneform bacteria which gives it a meaty flavor. The last cheese I let go wild, I did not do anything to the rind. This rind is dry and crispy, musty and crusty.






2 comments:

swh said...

I like the third wheel you let go wild. I am inadvertently going down that path with a tomme. I had to travel for two week and upon return the garden was off and running. I have since been washing lightly with 3 percent brine and a gentle scrub to get even development. It's from raw milk Jersey so I have a several more weeks to wait and see.

Damon said...

I am patiently waiting for your next update. I hope everything is well with you, and your cheese making endeavours!