Saturday, June 4, 2011

Creamery Construction Update


Finally, here is an update of the creamery in progress. I am nestled in approximately 1200 square feet in the left hand corner of the building above, behind the white door and the adjacent windows.
The photo below shows the outlay of the floor drains, cut into some very hard and thick concrete.
The make room and the cleaning room have a 2 feet high concrete knee wall made of three courses of concrete block. This will prevent the wicking of water from the floor and is required by NY state regulations. On top of this I have constructed a 8 feet high framed sheetrock wall. This part of the wall is covered with FRP (fiber reinforced panel) a.k.a. dairy board which makes it into a washable surface. Both of these rooms will have underfloor radiant heating. One can see the pex and concrete reinforcement laying on 2 inches of blue insulation foam board. I am about to pour the concrete for this.
The last photo shows the dry area. The walls here are bare sheetrock which will eventually be painted. At the end of this space, in the center of the picture, one can see the the entrance to the aging room. I will dedicate a post to this room in the near future.








4 comments:

Thomas said...

Looking good! I can't wait to see how it turns out. And I also can't wait to see your cheese in a market someday.

Susan said...

Your concrete knee wall and FRP wall give me ideas for our own little milking parlor that we plan to build in our barn. That would definitely help to be able to hose things down!

Sigh! Some day . . . and then I hope to make some cheese, too. When I do, I'll come back and re-read your posts to see what I can learn. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin said...

PEX is nice stuff. We installed it last autumn in my father's house here in TN (after selling his 200 yo house in Pine Bush, NY). Can't wait to see all the cheeses you make here!!

Rodney Orton said...

Seeing these updates on your creamery is giving people ideas that you mean well with your business. You’ve chosen your materials well too. By using FRP, you make sure that your workspace is very sanitary. I wish you all the best with your cheese business!

Rodney Orton