Thursday, March 5, 2009

Larger cheese vat



A few weeks ago I got another vat. During spring and summer I make cheese upstate as well and I did not want to travel back and forth with my cheese vat. I bought an 80 quarts stock pot, twice as large as the one I use downstate. I had to balance it with a pebble on the stove.

Here is the first time it is in use.


the milk in the vat


the DVS (direct vat starter) culture on top of the milk


checking the temperature


checking the flocculation


flocculation has begun




the curd is cut


cooking the curd




checking the pH and temperature of the whey


pressing the cheeses



brine


another miracle

4 comments:

What's in a Name? said...

Just beautiful!

ben said...

New to cheesemaking, greatly enjoying your blog. Envying your gadgets. Are you happy with your pH meter? Any advice you can offer when shopping for one?

Anonymous said...

WHere did you get your 80 quarts stock pot and how much was it? It is stainless?

Yaldwyn said...

Yes, stainless, got it at the Bowery in NYC, forgot price, perhaps 140USD