Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stainless Steel Lever Cheese Press


Usually, when I go upstate at this time of year, there are a lot of outside chores which don't allow for making cheese. This year it has been raining a lot. Rain all day was again in the forecast for last Saturday so I decided to make some cheese. An opportunity to test the new cheese press which I had built the previous week. 
I got some milk from my Jersey farmer in the morning and decided to make some simple tomme cheese. I didn't take pictures of the process, neither did I photograph the wheels fresh from the press. But I can assure you that the press worked wonderfully. It produced constant pressure and was easily adjusted. As you can see, I can press multiple cheeses in this system. The press is great addition to my supply of equipment. 



2 comments:

Janet said...

I don't suppose I could talk you into your tomme recipe and instructions. I made one recently from all the info I could gather, but I'd love to try yours. I have a source for raw jersey milk.

Thomas said...

Nice press! I just found out about your blog from cheesemaking.com. I am inspired by your efforts, and I look forward to trying out some of these cheeses!